The JCMT is managed by the East Asian Observatory. The telescope is funded by the East Asian Observatory and a select number of institutions in the UK and Canada.
PIs of PI observing proposals to JCMT must be from any of the 4 partner East Asian regions (China, Japan, Taiwan, Korea), Canada, Vietnam, Thailand, or from the universities in the UK that contribute to JCMT funding (see lists and definitions below). Otherwise, if you do not qualify by national or institutional affiliation as defined below then you cannot be the Principal Investigator on a JCMT observing proposal. Co-I status is not similarly restricted*. For details of how collaborative projects with investigators from more than one participating regions are allocated, please see here.
* note Co-I status is not restricted for PI programs but are restricted for JCMT Large Programs.
Large Program Eligibility
For JCMT Large Programs a Co-I from outside a regional affiliation may not access raw or reduced data (during the proprietary period/prior to publication) but can have access to data products – i.e. source catalogues. Please note that Canadian astronomers can participate in any of the JCMT Large Programs. Finally we warmly welcome Vietnam and Thailand, astronomers as Vietnam and Thailand now have “observer” status with the JCMT.
For the purpose of applying for observing time with JCMT, the definition of regional affiliation varies amongst the partner nations:
- anyone affiliated with an institute in mainland China – funding for China comes from the National Astronomical Observatories of Chinese Academy of Sciences (NAOC)
- anyone affiliated with an institute in Japan – funding for Japan comes from the National Astronomical Observatory of Japan (NAOJ)
- anyone affiliated with an institute in Taiwan – funding from Taiwan comes from the Academia Sinica Institute of Astronomy and Astrophysics (ASIAA)
- anyone affiliated with an institute in South Korea – funding from South Korea comes from the Korea Astronomy and Space Science Institute (KASI)
Contributing UK universities
- Cardiff University
- University of Central Lancashire
- University College London
- University of Edinburgh
- University of Hertfordshire
- University of Cambridge
- University of Manchester
- University of Bath
- University of Birmingham
- Durham University
- University of Exeter
- Imperial College London
- Liverpool John Moores University
- University of Nottingham
- The Open University
- University of Oxford
- Queens University Belfast
- University of St. Andrews
- University of Sussex
Contributing Canadian Organizations**
- National Research Council of Canada
- McMaster University
- University of Alberta
- University of Lethbridge
- University of Western Ontario
- Saint Mary’s University
- University of Waterloo
** please note that Canadian astronomers can participate in any of the JCMT Large Programs.